Happy left handers day to all my fellow lefties out there! Here are some interesting facts about being left handed. Enjoy.
1. Left handed people are a minority. Between 10-12% of people on earth are lefties.
2. Left=bad. Throughout history, being left handed has had a lot of negative connotations. To be left handed has been considered a nasty habit, mark of the devil, a of sign mental defect, criminality, homosexuality and rebellion. Left is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft which means broken or weak. If you look it up in the dictionary, you’ll see that to be left handed means to be a cripple, defective, awkward clumsy oaf who is known for being ambiguous, doubtful, ill omened and shady. Grrrreat.
3. Left handed people are better at the arts. When it comes to creative pursuits like art and music, lefties rule.
4. Left handed people are more prone to issues. According to research, lefties are more likely to be alcoholics, schizophrenics, dyslexics, or delinquents. Research also shows left handed people may also be at a greater risk for Crohn’s disease and mental disabilities.
5. Not everyone considers left handed people to be cursed. The Incas believed lefties possessed magic powers and had healing capabilities. The Zuni, a tribe in North America, believed being left handed was a sign of good luck.
6. Lefties may be smarter than right handed people. Research shows that lefties are more likely to have an IQ higher than 140 than righties. Twenty percent of MENSA members are left handed. Researchers attribute this to lefties being forced to use both sides of their brains regularly, which could allow lefties to process larger amounts of information.
7. Lefties are great at multitasking. Because left handed people are forced to use both sides of their brains more often, the brain is able to think more quickly and find it easier to focus on multiple tasks at a time.
8. Left handedness runs in families. If you’re a lefty, odds are someone else in your family is too.
9. Generally, lefties are better at sports and video games. When it comes to sports like fencing, boxing, tennis, and baseball, lefties definitely have an advantage because many people aren’t used to dealing with left handed opponents. Lefties also dominate at video games because they are better at handling large amounts of stimuli.
10. In the animal kingdom, the left to right handed ratio is split. Cats, rats, mice, and dogs are equally split when it comes to right and left paw preferences.
Bonus fact: Left handed people die sooner. Left handed people may die nine years earlier than right handed people.
A list of awesome lefties
- Bill Clinton
- Barack Obama
- Benjamin Franklin
- Ramses II
- Joan of Arc
- Julius Caesar
- Jack the Ripper
- Bart Simpson
- James Baldwin
- H.G Wells
- Kurt Cobain
- Jimi Hendrix
- Issac Hayes
- Johnny Rotten
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Charlie Chaplin
- Robert Deniro
- Kermit the Frog
- Richard Pryor
- Marylin Monroe
- Bill Gates
- Mark Twain
- Albert Einstein